Decorated Rockies: Where are they now? – Leighcar Marshall

Decorated Rockies: Where are they now?

Drama is a demanding subject. It requires communication, listening and creativity. It takes a very special kind of person to excel under the pressure that comes with said subject.

It enhances creative thinking, teamwork, analysis, planning and presentation skills, yet it still is not seen as a core ‘academic’ subject

According to the Student Room, “Many individuals view Drama as a ‘soft subject.’” This erroneous opinion stems from the idea that it is not as academic as other subjects, like mathematics or English.

However, Drama is not just about rehearsing a few lines in front of a group of people. That is where the sceptics were wrong. To obtain success, pupils must sacrifice and be resilient. You must offer up your free time and almost always give 150%

One such diligent and admirable student that I had gotten the chance to talk to was Graeme Watson.

He graduated from Swartland High School in 2019 and is currently completing his last year at the University of Stellenbosch.

I N T E R V I E W

Q: Did you always want to study drama? Or did it come to you when you least expected it?

A: For the longest time I didn’t think Drama would become something so important to me, and now I get to do it everyday. Life’s great. But no, I think after I have realized what potential there is in this interesting field, I decided to stick with it and to go for it.

Q: How did your family, friends and teachers react when you chose drama as a subject?

A: I have absolutely no idea how my family and friends felt about that decision, but I initially chose drama to be a “Chill Subject” because I had other subjects like Math and Science and Engineering Graphics Design. But very quickly realized that Drama was the only subject I enjoyed.

Q: Who guided you to stardom and what do you want to tell them?

A: Mrs. Marzane Horn. The best drama teacher ever. I want to tell her that I can never repay her for the trust she had in me, nor for the believe or the fire she has instilled in me. She is a truly a gem and I feel that everyone deserves a Miss Horn in their life. Everything that I have accomplished up until now is all thanks to her. Thank you, Mrs. Horn.

Q: What is the first competition you participated in and what was the results?

A: In 2018 I participated in the annual Nasionale Tienertoneelspel-kompetisie. That year I was placed in the top 16, where I received an opportunity to appear in Suidooster as well as a role in one of the productions that was performed at the Woordfees the following year.

Q: To date, what is your greatest accomplishment and can you explain how it felt?

A: I cannot physically explain how it felt, but I personally think that my greatest accomplishments stem from me striving to keep on learning, growing and opening myself up to be analytical and not critical. I think there will always be a “greater accomplishment” but I think if you strive to be a better version of your previous self, then accomplishments do not hang so highly on the priority list.

Q: What advice can you give to someone who wants to study drama, but is too scared of what other people will think of them.

A: I read something very interesting, and the saying goes: “You will stop worrying so much about what people think of you, the moment you realize how seldom they actually do.” It is important that you as an individual find your path and your own voice. Now, is the time to make “mistakes”. Now is the time for you to learn. If there is a burning desire to study Drama, then I think you should act on it.

Q: When referring to drama what is your greatest strengths and weaknesses; how do they influence the way you preform.

A: One of my weaknesses, I would say, is that I have an extremely laidback approach to my craft. I do take everything I do very seriously, however I have a tendency of believing everything will sort itself out, and that inevitably leads to me having to work a lot harder closer to the performance date. Which then leads me to one of my strengths and that is to adapt and to achieve the goal, despite having such a laidback approach.

Q: Who is the person that inspires you and why?

A: I am inspired by every day things, seeing other people showcase their talents, especially on stage, inspires me to work on this gift that I have received. It is absolutely fascinating to see how other actors work and the product that they leave on stage. It gives me a sense of belonging and lets me know that I actually want to do this.

Q: Do you prefer performing on the big screen, theatre or daytime TV.

A: Theatre will always have my heart. There is something special about the smell of a stage, the adrenaline that rushes through your body before a performance, the lights that falls on you, the absolute control you have as a performer. But the one thing that will always make my heart melt is the: “you were fantastic” from a stranger who came to watch the show. That small statement, is what keeps me coming back for more, THAT’S what keeps me going.

Q: Did you know you are still a role model at High School Swartland. A drama period, according to most students, would not be completed without hearing your name at least once.

A: I sometimes feel unworthy of the praise I receive, a compliment like that warms my heart. Thank you, Mrs Horn. I am forever grateful for you.

Graeme left a lasting impression on most people that had the opportunity to cross paths with him. He did not just influence the drama students’ perception, but he changed they way I approached obstacles. One such student still admires him is his little brother: Leighmen Marshall.

Leighmen told me that Graeme taught him how to deal with criticism and how to see the positive in it. He wants Graeme to know, that he appreciates all the advice he has given him and he is proud of what he has accomplished.

Thank you, Graeme, for making the time to speak to me, but also for setting an example on how to handle hardships. You embody what a Rockie should be.