A DARK DUNGEON – Mirné Relihan

A Dark Dungeon

I have attempted time and time again to leave this inescapable maze of bark and blood. Now, the small beads of perspiration trickling down my roasted face remind me of my need for nourishment. Dark, infertile and ever-changing temperatures: these are all good words to describe this place.

Up ahead, a splotch of light beckons me towards the warm glow. Melodious lyrics orchestrated by small rocks on the bottom of a river fill my ears to the brim and overflow into my soul. Four moss-covered rocks lead a path over the deep stream. Hesitation, anxiety and doubt fill my mind.

“No!” I think. “JUMP!”

My heart skips a beat as I almost slip into the ravine of water. “Slowly and steadily, that’s the way to approach,” I say to myself.  “That’s it, just one foot at a time.”

Wait.

Why are my feet stuck?

There is a crashing sound of waves. The boulder shifting under my feet begins to overwhelm me. Millions of thoughts and doubts about past and present decisions, the future and everything in-between flood my mind like the bitterly cold mass of water. I am being thrashed around. My emotions are overflowing. My heart is palpitating.

And then, suddenly, there is nothing. My consciousness departs as a dark, sorrowful siren drags me deeper into the abyss. Depression is a patient monster, feasting on its host’s passions and will to live.

I notice again: the noose is never at the edge of the forest.